It’s no surprise that the number one issue for a stay at home mom entrepreneur is time and productivity. The average mom only gets 17 minutes of alone time per day. That’s barely enough time to take a shower let alone build a business.
Let’s see if we can find a solution. Check out these 10 productivity tips for stay at home mom entrepreneurs, which are mom-tested and mom-approved.
1. Babywearing. This is absolutely one of my favorites, especially if you have a very little one. When I started my first blog, my daughter was around one-year-old. She demanded a lot of attention and cuddles. My solution? Babywearing. She could be close, while I was hands-free to work.
2. Stop multi-tasking. I know as a mom you are a multi-tasking queen, but study after study shows that multi-tasking kills your productivity.
Now believe me, I am well aware that many times you are watching little ones while trying to work on your business.
So NOT multi-tasking may not be an option. But at the very least, stop hopping back and forth between various projects and work tasks. When you start a task, stay on that one until it is done. That means don’t start a blog post and then hop over to your email or Facebook for 5 minutes. We all know 5 minutes turns into much more.
3. Let’s talk sleep. Sleep is essential to being at peak performance. What’s sleep you say? Yep. I get you. My daughter didn’t sleep through the night for the first time until she was almost two.
So here’s what I’m proposing. How often are you up for late night feeds with a baby? Or have a toddler refusing to lay down. Instead of fighting it, go with the flow and use that extra time awake for your advantage. Grab your iPhone and spend some time engaging on social media, or jot down some blog post ideas. Some of my best ideas come at the strangest times. (Also refer back to point number one for a tip on how to get baby to sleep. Babywearing is seriously the bomb for getting a cranky baby to sleep.)
4. Hire someone. I can hear you already saying, “but Morgan, I don’t have money to hire someone! I’m just starting out!” Believe me, I get it. But you can hire someone for super cheap nowadays.
At the end of the day, there is only so much that you as one person can accomplish. I’m not saying you can’t grow a successful business on your own, but I am saying it will happen faster and be less stressful for you if you have help.
There are so many tasks a virtual assistant can take off your plate. Here are some ideas: transcribing voice memos into blog posts, scheduling social media content, creating graphics for social media, organizing your inbox, and many more.
5. Always batch process. Think of it like an assembly line. One person doesn’t build a whole car anymore. Instead they make one part over and over because it’s much more efficient.
Apply this same principle to your business. Work on similar tasks all at the same time. This kind of goes back to the no more multi-tasking tip. Instead of bouncing around from checking emails to writing to social media, you only do one of them for a chunk of time. For example, you spend one hour brainstorming blog post ideas, then one hour creating graphics for those ideas, then one hour scheduling out your social media calendar, etc.
Being a stay at home mom entrepreneur and totally crushing it is possible! You just need a plan, and to be super mindful of your limited time. What do you think? Any tips of your own? Share them in the comments!
The 4 month sleep regression is one of the most dreaded phases of parenting. You've finally gotten the hang of this parenting thing, you think it's all smooth sailing, and then the 4 month sleep regression steps in to knock you off your parenting pedestal. It's...
I shared a heartfelt post on Facebook about the sacrifices and joys of being a mom, but what caught a lot of attention was a debate on how often moms shower. We joke about it, but it's usually true that moms shower less than non-moms, especially during those early...
There's more to how to make a baby than the good old birds and bees talk you got as an adolescent. Many adults have knowledge gaps when it comes to trying to conceive, so let's fill them in so you can get pregnant faster. Have you been doing it like rabbits for months...